Botox is a neurotoxin, a powerful natural poison. In small doses it is proven to improve facial wrinkles caused by facial muscle contractions, called dynamic wrinkles. It works by blocking signals from the nerves to the muscles, temporarily paralyzing the muscles, which gradually smooths the skin over these muscles for a naturally, refreshed appearance.
It is commonly used on the wrinkles on the forehead, around the eyes (crow’s feet), and laugh lines. Botox is injected into the muscles that make wrinkles around the eyes (crow’s feet), horizontal frown lines in the forehead, vertical furrows between the eyes (glabella lines or 11 lines), and bunny wrinkles on the sides of the nose.
The results are relaxed and softened wrinkles and lines. However, Botox does not affect wrinkles and line caused by gravity and sun damage. Effects can begin to be observed within 24-48 hours with full effects obvious within 5-7 days. Effects last about 4-6 months.
You will appear more rested and refreshed, without surgery, and without the pain and expense. However, the success of your Botox treatment depends on the skill and experience of the practitioner.
In the hands of a skilled injector with solid experience and knowledge of facial anatomy, Botox treatments can:
- Provide a mini brow lift. When injected into the muscles of the eyebrows, it elevates the brows to open and accentuate the eyes.
- Relax and soften vertical and horizontal forehead lines, crow’s feet and frown lines that make you look angry, anxious, fearful or fatigued.
- Diminish bunny lines, the lines created when you crinkle your nose.
- Soften nasolabial folds that run from the corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth.
- Improve facial symmetry.
- Reduce the appearance of vertical neck bands that appear as we age.
- Improve your smile! If you show too much of your gums when you smile, which usually results from excessive lip elevation, Botox injections will weaken the upper lip muscles and provide a more balanced smile.
- Smooth chin dimpling.
- Reduce the appearance of fine vertical lines around the lips.
- Lift the corners of your mouth to relax your frown and improve your smile.
Repeated Botox treatments every 3-4 months will provide longer term results (5-6 months), reduce the amount of the drug needed to suppress muscle activity, and reduce the frequency of injections to maintain your results. Keeping up with injections on a regular basis trains the muscles to relax and over time these dynamic wrinkles become less severe.
There are no known side effects from long term use and will not cause a loss of future effects or eliminate facial expression. Instead, Botox treatments can prevent facial grimaces and frowns that have become unintended habits related to age, stress and worry.
Only a small percentage of patients may build resistance. In that case, there are other similar formulations that can be used, such as Dysport and Xeomin.
If you are tired of looking tired, frazzled, angry, stressed, and worried, and desire a refreshed appearance, call Dr. Anna Chacon today.